Monday, December 13, 2010

Portrayal Relative to Common Stereotypes

It was interesting to read the Common Stereotypes About Disability (Bilken & Bogden, 1977) handout and apply the descriptions of common portrayals to the show. I did not even begin to draw the connections to some of the examples listed (i.e. Tiny Tim, Mr. Magoo, Captain Ahab). I am well aware of the characters, and prior to this course, I am not sure that I would have realized that on my own. The response to the Glee "Wheels" episode was overwhelmingly positive. The most common criticism was in regards able-bodied actor Kevin McHale, being cast in the role of a person with a disability.

I'll take an honest stab at this assessment and say that the character did not fit the common stereotypes about disability. Please correct me if I'm wrong. From my observation as a regular viewer of the show Artie Abrams is not:
  • pitiable and pathetic
  • an object of violence
  • sinister or evil
  • "atmosphere"
  • a "supercrip
  • his worst enemy
  • a burden
  • a loner
  • incapable of fully participating in everyday life
The term laughable still confuses me since the show is, in fact, a comedy - but I don't believe that he is the center of all jokes and humiliation.

Artie Abrams in the show is:
  • honest and caring
  • fully aware of his disability and uses it as a strength
  • upfront and center stage as a key main character (not a background character)
  • in a relationship (the show addresses asexuality, Artie 'had' sex with his girlfriend)
  • present in all major scenes even in a wheelchair (he is given major stage time as an active participant - dancer and singer - in all performances)