Monday, December 13, 2010

Conclusion

Interestingly, the third season of "Glee" started at the time that this course began four months ago. As a musician, singer, dancer, and stage-performer, I am a big fan. It wasn't until the middle of October that much of what was discussed in this course began to unfold in the show in subtle ways. I wasn't quite sure how to feel about Artie's character in general, not to mention the two actresses with Down syndrome that have on-going roles in the show. This media review allowed me to dig more deeply into the discussions surrounding disabilities portrayed in the television show. There is so much more to it. It is a comedy with a strong message when you look close enough.

Overall throughout this project, my awareness has sharpened. This blog features my thoughts on the matter during the learning experience. I could be wrong, though I hope I am not. And if I am - will humbly accept the feedback. As with any topic of discourse, the door swings both ways, and I hope to find myself on the side that is just, compassionate, and kind. I am more sensitive to things like people first language, stereotypes, and inclusion- not just in education, but in life. It's only fair - we should all be afforded the same opportunities. It is a right we have, and owe to each other, as humans.